James has worked across a huge range of industries, geographies and clients in the 16 years he has been with Efficio, gaining experience in all elements of procurement and supply chain. James has also been responsible for developing the firm’s world-class Procurement Training Academy, and has taken the lead role in developing Efficio’s eFlow technology offering.
Main areas of practice
James specialises in Procurement Transformation, Opportunity Assessments, Strategic and Tactical Sourcing, Supplier Relationship Management, Organisational Redesign, upskilling and training. In addition to his procurement expertise, James has extensive experience in application design, development, deployment and management.
James graduated with a BBS from Massey University, New Zealand in 1995 and gained an MA (Hons) in Political Science and Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley. James is a native English speaker but also possesses basic Maori and Japanese.
Prior to joining Efficio, James spent four years at A.T.Kearney in New York in the Strategy practice and one year at LesConcierges building web-based technology applications in San Francisco.
James works across a wide range of sectors and clients but in recent times has spent most of his time on Private Equity-owned companies and large Utilities and Infrastructure clients.
- Managed Procurement Service – UK water utility: Led a team of 40 people managing more than £1.8 billion in Opex and £2 billion in capital spend. A five-year transformation project turned a transactional Procurement function into a strategic partner to the business and delivered over £100 million in savings
- Procurement Transformation – UK waste company: Project managed a team of nine consultants through Opportunity Assessment and Transformation across this Private Equity-owned waste business with £105 million of spend. Redefining Procurement’s role in the wider organisation and delivered £9 million in annualised benefits
- Supplier Relationship Management implementation – Leading UK retailer: Designed and implemented new SRM procedures across £7 billion in UK spend
- Sourcing Support – UK defence / FM provider: Led a team of five consultants supporting the client in accelerating the sourcing of a number of work streams including MRO, Fleet, Temporary Staff, Permanent Recruitment and PPE
- Strategic Sourcing – European telecoms company: Designed and conducted a multi-phase sourcing effort over 18 months, beginning with a traditional sourcing approach and concluding with implementing a new fixed-price structure for the construction of cell sites across the UK, Ireland and Germany. Savings achieved were in excess of 25% based on spend of over £100 million annually
- Strategic Sourcing – global manufacturing company: Led a team of 11 consultants across the Private Equity-owned holding company with three brands, Sourcing Traction Batteries and Chargers, Truck Attachments, Fleet, Logistics, and Office Products with spend totalling €300 million. Savings totalled €20 million across nine geographies
- Strategic Sourcing – global biotech company: Led a team of six consultants in sourcing of €200 million over six key European countries. Categories included Creative Agencies, Medical Communication Agencies, Boothbuilders, Print, Conferences and Events
- Opportunity Assessment – global chemicals company: Led team of four consultants conducting global Sourcing Opportunity Assessment across 18 countries to determine possible savings opportunities through post-merger integration and leveraged sourcing
Over the last three years, James has led an internal team to analyse the global landscape and develop Efficio’s new cutting-edge disruptive eFlow technology. These new technology applications incorporate the analytics, practices and processes our Procurement consultants bring to our client base. To date, the technology is being actively used by 14 clients with spend under management of more than £32 billion.